“ The Defense Department said in early February that it would not deploy the U.S.S. Harry Truman to the Persian Gulf, citing budget concerns relating to the looming cuts known as the sequester.
“Under the Constitution, the President is commander-in-chief and employs the force. And so we now have the President going out because of this piece of paper and this agreement. ‘I can’t do what I need to do to protect the country,’” Woodward said.
“That’s a kind of madness that I haven’t seen in a long time,” he said.
Woodward’s harsh criticism came after he stirred controversy last weekend by calling out Obama for what he said was “moving the goal posts” on the sequester by requesting that revenue be part of a deal to avert it.”
- Bob Woodward Tears Into Obama With Veiled Nixonian Criticism: ‘Madness That I Haven’t Seen In A Long Time’ (mediaite.com)
- “Under the Constitution, the president is commander-in-chief and employs the force. And so we now…” (shortformblog.com)
- Budget cuts cancel Friday’s planned deployment of the USS Harry S. Truman (wtvr.com)
- Woodward blasts Obama ‘madness’ (politico.com)
- Deployment of Harry S. Truman Delayed, U.S. Down to One Carrier in Persian Gulf (nationalreview.com)
- Byron York: Budget hawks question doomsday scenarios (appeal-democrat.com)
- Rep. Rigell makes statement about delay of USS Truman’s deployment (wtkr.com)