There are also bridges and several other structures which can be transformed into different scenarios.
The $96 million is designed to meticulously “replicate complex operational environments and develop solutions“. “
This “future battlefield” is located on the grounds of Ft AP Hill in eastern Virginia just 80 miles south of DC .
No expense was spared during the construction of the “mock city” as these photos from the construction companies involved can attest . It’s nice to know that in times of economic hardship the State is being so responsible with taxpayer funds .
As with everything else involving the government and it’s spending the initial budget was set at between $55 – $61 million yet ended up costing over 50% more than “expected” .
This video from one of the contractors involved in the project gives a good overview of the kind of detail that went into the construction of the “fake city”.
” W. M. Jordan Company is providing construction services for the Asymmetric Warfare Group Training Complex at Fort AP Hill, Virginia. The $63 million complex is designed to prepare military troops in anti-terrorism exercises. Spread over 92 acres, this 25-building training facility features a mock town with various building facades, a Training and Support Center, and an indoor firing range. These training areas are connected by roads of differing qualities with various obstacles such as sand, bridges, tunnels and rough terrain in order to simulate real-world environments. “
While we recognize the need for training in the field of asymmetrical warfare in these times of conflict with organizations other than standing armies we can’t help but feel that the expenditure of nearly $100 million dollars to build a replica American city , especially given the current administration’s demonstrably anti-American , unconstitutional proclivities , is a harbinger of terrible preparations being made by our army for operations that would surely violate the Posse Comitatus Act of 1878 :
” The text of the Posse Comitatus Act, which is still in effect (as 18 U.S.C. Section 1385), reads:
Whoever, except in cases and under circumstances expressly authorized by the Constitution or Act of Congress, willfully uses any part of the Army or the Air Force as a posse comitatus or otherwise to execute the laws shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than two years, or both.
Today, the Posse Comitatus Act has taken on a very different meaning from the one that it had in 1878. No longer associated with Reconstruction, it is a useful way to prevent the U.S. armed forces from directing their efforts against U.S. dissident groups. Public sentiment in favor of the Posse Comitatus Act is so strong that a 2006 law permitting an exception to the Act in cases of public disasters (in response to Hurricane Katrina) was repealed a year later.”
This is an alarming development on many levels , not least of which is the idea that the US Army expects to be occupying cities , whether foreign or domestic in the near future . If the training is to be for action in foreign cities then we are obviously not about to give up on the foreign adventurism that is so contrary to our Founders ideals and if the training is for domestic operations then the patriots among us who have always held the belief that the military of all branches of the State would side with the people in defense of the Constitution .
While much is made of the protections afforded the citizens of the US from the use of the army against them in the Posse Comitatus Act , the real danger to our liberties embodied in this new asymmetrical warfare training center lie in the Insurrection Act of 1807 wherein Congress granted the president sweeping powers during times of “unrest” ….
” The 2007 Defense Authorization Bill, with over $500 billion allocated to the military, and which also contained the changes to the Insurrection Act of 1807, was passed by a bipartisan majority of both houses of Congress: 398-23 in the House and by unanimous consent in the Senate. For military forces to be used under the provisions of the revised Insurrection Act, the following conditions must be met:
- (1) The President may employ the armed forces, including the National Guard in Federal service, to–
- (A) restore public order and enforce the laws of the United States when, as a result of a natural disaster, epidemic, or other serious public health emergency, terrorist attack or incident, or other condition in any State or possession of the United States, the President determines that–
- (i) domestic violence has occurred to such an extent that the constituted authorities of the State or possession are incapable of maintaining public order; and
- (ii) such violence results in a condition described in paragraph (2); or
- (B) suppress, in a State, any insurrection, domestic violence, unlawful combination, or conspiracy if such insurrection, violation, combination, or conspiracy results in a condition described in paragraph (2).
- (2) A condition described in this paragraph is a condition that–
- (A) so hinders the execution of the laws of a State or possession, as applicable, and of the United States within that State or possession, that any part or class of its people is deprived of a right, privilege, immunity, or protection named in the Constitution and secured by law, and the constituted authorities of that State or possession are unable, fail, or refuse to protect that right, privilege, or immunity, or to give that protection; or
- (B) opposes or obstructs the execution of the laws of the United States or impedes the course of justice under those laws.”
The deck is already stacked against the supporters of Constitutionally limited government and the fact that the army saw fit to expend such huge sums of our tax-payer dollars to build a facility to train to fight a domestic war should give all who value liberty and expect the military forces of the US to behave accordingly serious pause .
The State Uber Alles …