” While hashtag is not a new term by any means, the group of voters felt this is the year when the word made its distinction during 2012.
“This was the year when the hashtag became a ubiquitous phenomenon in online talk,” Zimmer said. “In the Twittersphere and elsewhere, hashtags have created instant social trends, spreading bite-sized viral messages on topics ranging from politics to pop culture.” “
- Higher Ed Marketing – Hashing out 2012?s word of the year (andrewcareaga.wordpress.com)
- ArtsBeat: Tweet This: ‘Hashtag’ Named Word of the Year by American Dialect Society (artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com)
- ‘Hashtag’ Named Word of the Year by American Dialect Society (bits.blogs.nytimes.com)
- #hashtag beats ‘YOLO’ and ‘fiscal cliff’ to become 2012 Word of the Year (macleans.ca)
- ‘Hashtag’ Voted Word of the Year for 2012 (cnsnews.com)