” The Internet genius behind the popular Web site Reddit.com committed suicide at his Brooklyn home today, police sources and friends said.
Cops discovered Aaron Swartz unconscious at 9:30 a.m. and are now investigating whether he hanged himself, law enforcement sources said.
Swartz helped create Reddit and drafted an early version of the RSS format, a “Web feed” that syndicates popular headlines.
Friends yesterday called him a prolific intellectual — and a computer geek legend — who had long suffered from depression.
“We have lost someone today who had more work to do — and who made the world a better place,” his pal Cory Doctorow wrote on the blog Biong Boing.
Swartz was also an avid Internet activist, who pushed to make web files open to the public. He opposed the “Stop Online Piracy Act,” which keeps hackers from swiping web content such as music and movies. “
- Co-Founder Of Reddit.com Commits Suicide (losangeles.cbslocal.com)
- Former Reddit Co-Owner and Internet Activist Aaron Swartz Commits Suicide (gizmodo.com)
- Aaron Swartz, co-founder of Reddit, dead at 26 (thestar.com)
- Tech Prodigy and Internet Activist Aaron Swartz Commits Suicide (business.time.com)
- Aaron Swartz Commits Suicide (news.slashdot.org)
- Hacker and Reddit co-founder Aaron Swartz dies (theverge.com)