” A new and very cheap drug is killing Greek youth who no longer can see a future for themselves. Sisa is a form of crystal meth being mixed with filler ingredients such as battery acid and engine oil. It makes users violent and kills within six months.Ever since the austerity crisis has hit Greece, drug use and alcohol abuse have been rising sharply, as have suicides. The larger cities, and especially Athens, are filled with homeless and impoverished people who often seek to escape their misery by taking refuge in drug induced stupor.
Enter the relatively new drug called sisa (pronounced as shisha) that arrived on the scene about two years ago and soon became the drug of choice because it’s the cheapest of them all — a hit costs less than 2 Euro ($2.50).
Easy to make at home, sisa is a deadly mix of crystal methamphetamine filled with the most weird and dangerous ingredients: battery acid, engine oil, shampoo and cooking salt. The Greek independent press eNet English has called it “cocaine of the poor” and the UK edition of Vice says its the “the epitome of an austerity drug.”
- Briton Arrested for Allegedly Smuggling Crystal Meth (thejakartaglobe.com)
- Shisha Drug Grows Popular in Debt-Stricken Athens (eu.greekreporter.com)
- Greek addicts turn to deadly sisha drug as economic crisis deepens (guardian.co.uk)
- Greek addicts turn to deadly shisha drug as economic crisis deepens (talesfromthelou.wordpress.com)
- Drugs; What You Need To Know (deakinscicomm.wordpress.com)