Gov. Cuomo’s Gun-Reform Bill To Have New Ammo Behind It, As Activists From Several Groups, Celebs Like Ed Norton, Russell Simmons, Forming Coalition Supporting Law
” A new coalition of activists, unions and celebrities has formed to hit back against the vocal opposition to Gov. Cuomo’s recently approved gun-reform law, sources told the Daily News.
The coalition, according to one source, will include activists from the following groups: Brady Campaign To Prevent Gun Violence; Mayors Against Illegal Guns, which Mayor Bloomberg co-founded; New Yorkers Against Gun Violence; Moms Demand Action; and the powerful health care union Local 1199 SEIU.
A series of public events are being planned across the Empire State to tout the advantages of the reform bill, which the Legislature approved last month.
Among the celebrities said to have joined the nascent effort are hip-hop mogul Russell Simmons, actor Ed Norton and the Rev. Al Sharpton.
“Despite the protestations of a vocal minority, polls consistently show that New Yorkers are in favor of common-sense gun laws by a wide margin,” one source said.
A pro-gun-control event is expected to be held at the state Capitol within the next few weeks.”
- Andrew Cuomo flips out for gun control (humanevents.com)
- New Yorkers Take Aim At Cuomo’s SAFE Act (freedomoutpost.com)
- Andrew Cuomo flips out for Gun Control (fromthetrenchesworldreport.com)
- Russell Simmons pushes for assault weapon ban (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com)
- Chris Christie: I agree with Andrew Cuomo on probably 98% of the issues (hotair.com)
- Cuomo Raising Money to Promote Agenda (politicalwire.com)
- Michael Moore: If You Want to Protect Yourself From Criminals, Get a Dog (dprogram.net)
- BREAKING: NY Mayor Mike Bloomberg Uses Bodyguards to Bully Journalist in Washington (Updated) (pjmedia.com)
- Cuomo’s new problems: Headlines, Clinton (oddonion.com)
- APNewsBreak: Lobby for Cuomo keeps donors secret (newsday.com)