” Creating microscopic black holes using particle accelerators requires less energy than previously thought, researchers say.
If physicists do succeed in creating black holes with such energies on Earth, the achievement could prove the existence of extra dimensions in the universe, physicists noted.
Any such black holes would pose no risk to Earth, however, scientists added.
Black holes possess gravitational fields so powerful that nothing can escape, not even light. The holes normally form when the remains of a dead star collapse under their own gravity, squeezing their mass together.”
- Creating tiny black holes isn’t all that hard (science.nbcnews.com)
- Mini Black Holes Easier To Make Than Thought (space.com)
- Video: Particle Collisions Could Create Twin Black Holes (news.sciencemag.org)
- Black Holes Won’t Incinerate You, After All (scienceblogs.com)
- NASA Puts New Spin On Black Holes (gizmodo.com.au)
- Curtains down for the black hole firewall paradox (spacedaily.com)
- Black Hole Spins at Nearly the Speed of Light (news.nationalgeographic.com)
- Astronomers Spot Black Hole Spinning Near the Speed of Light (escapistmagazine.com)