See video of the Wiki Weapon firing here .
” It’s an oppressive spring afternoon in Austin, Texas. Low clouds threaten to unleash a gullywasher. After a couple of emails and phone calls I’m at an apartment complex off to the west of the University of Texas campus. A pair of young men pull up and pop the lid on the trunk of their car. One pulls a flat metal case from the trunk and I jokingly ask, “Is that a gun or a guitar?”
The lead man could blend in with the musicians and hipsters all over Austin who recently dominated the city during SXSW, but he isn’t one and what he has in the case is an instrument, but it’s not musical.
The man with the strange rifle is Cody Wilson, 25, the co-director of Defense Distributed. That’s the group that in the past year has gone from not even existing to being on the verge of changing everything.
Or nothing. The fact is, neither Wilson nor anyone else knows what effect realizing his idea will have. But we’re very close to finding out.
Defense Distributed is about to create the world’s first fully functional, fully printed gun. The wikiweapon will be real.
We go into his apartment and he shows me around. It’s a typical male college student’s place — he’s a law student at UT — a bit messy and unkempt. Up in his bedroom he has a huge American flag on one wall and the famous “Come and Take It” flag opposite. It’s a replica of the flag that flew at Gonzales, Texas, on October 2, 1835 when Texians dared the Mexican army to retrieve a cannon.”
- That 3D-Printed Handgun You’ve Been Waiting For Is Here (reason.com)
- Cody Wilson: 3D-printable guns are just the start, 3D-printable guns are just the start, says Cody Wilson (guardian.co.uk)
- Bitcoin helps fund world’s first 3D-printed gun, now test fired and available for download (21stcenturywire.com)
- Re: Cody Wilson set to release world’s first printable 3D gun (forum.prisonplanet.com)
- Highly criticized 3D printable gun test fired successfully in Austin on Saturday (thescoopblog.dallasnews.com)
- First 3D-Printed Gun Fired (foxnews.com)
- The first 3D printed gun is here – and politicians really want to outlaw it (venturebeat.com)
- 3D Printed Guns (Documentary) (disclose.tv)