” A recent NBC/WSJpoll shows that more people blame bad parenting and Hollywood for mass public shootings than guns themselves. The results display that the massive public relations campaign to convince people that inanimate objects or society are more to blame more than individuals or their particular family backgrounds has not been very successful.
The wording of the question, polled of 1000 respondents (300 by cellphone):
Now, I’m going to list several items and would like you to tell me how much responsibility — if any— each item might bear for the mass-shootings that have taken place over the last year or two in Tucson, Arizona; Aurora, Colorado; and Newtown, Connecticut – a great deal, a good amount, not too much, or none at all? ”
And where did guns figure in the poll respondent’s mind ?
” Most importantly, guns themselves were blamed the fifth most at 59 percent, the rate of people who agreed that “assault and military-style firearms being legal to purchase,” and “the availability of high capacity ammunition clips” contributed to the occurrence of mass public shootings.”
- NYTimes Buries Own Poll Findings Showing Support for Armed Guards in School, Blaming Hollywood (newsbusters.org)
- Mike Huckabee: Gun Violence Push Shows Obama Has ‘Nothing But Contempt For The Constitution’ (huffingtonpost.com)
- WSJ/NBC Poll Shows Continuing Support for NRA (blogs.wsj.com)
- CNN/Time Poll: Slight dip in support for gun control measures in last month (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com)
- Obama Protects Hollywood (papundits.wordpress.com)
- NRA’s Anti-Hollywood Strategy May Be Working, Poll Finds (theatlanticwire.com)
- Poll: NRA more popular than Hollywood (upi.com)