” No one wants to ever again see anything like the senseless slaughter of 26 people – including 20 children – at a school. But as legislators turn toward creating new gun laws, here are five facts they need to know.
1. Violent crime – including violent crime using guns – has dropped massively over the past 20 years.
The violent crime rate – which includes murder, rape, and beatings – is half of what it was in the early 1990s. And the violent crime rate involving the use of weapons has also declined at a similar pace.
2. Mass shootings have not increased in recent years.
Despite terrifying events like Sandy Hook or last summer’s theater shooting in Aurora, Colorado, mass shootings are not becoming more frequent. “There is no pattern, there is no increase,” says criminologist James Allen Fox of Northeastern University, who studies the issue. Other data shows that mass killings peaked in 1929.”
- Larry Pratt Slams Piers Morgan Over “Sham” Gun Control Argument (dprogram.net)
- Facts Anti-Gun Advocates Don’t Want You to Know (godfatherpolitics.com)
- EDITORIAL Response to ‘Florida Firearm Violence Hits Record Low; Concealed Gun Permits Up’ (guns.com)
- Connecticut town to burn violent video games as Sandy Hook returns to school (guardian.co.uk)
- Facts Anti-Gun Advocates Don’t Want You to Know (genomega1.wordpress.com)
- Florida gun violence hits record low (wptv.com)
- TED NUGENT’s Open letter to Joe Biden on Guns (notyrants.blogspot.com)