Google Project Loon: Using Balloons To Beam Internet From Stratosphere To Isolated Communities [VIDEO]
” Google (NASDAQ: GOOG) wants everyone in the world to be on the Internet, but two out of three people in the world still don’t have access. To address this problem, Google unveiled on Friday its latest “moonshot” solution to the problem: balloon-powered Internet access.
In a blog post, Google said that some of the biggest obstacles to universal Internet access are the geographical ones posed by jungles, archipelagos and mountains. These obstacles increase the cost of Internet connectivity, making it too expensive for most inhabitants of these places to afford. Google’s planned solution to this problem is to avoid these obstacles altogether by using a ring of balloons in the stratosphere that will drift on stratospheric winds to beam Internet access to the hard-to-reach places below.”
So what will it be ? The internet that as recently as just a few short weeks ago was looked upon as THE force for liberation of the people and the greatest tool for freedom since Gutenberg’s printing press has a taint about it now thanks to the US government , PRISM and the NSA .
The stench of PRISM would not have been possible without the cooperation of the ISP giants such as Google and Facebook and now we are faced with not only a complete lack of trust in our government , but private information businesses as well .
That makes Google’s Loon Project a double-edged sword … Is it to be a Sword of Damocles ?
- Google unveils latest moonshot: balloon-powered Internet access (9to5google.com)
- Project Loon: Internet for everyone in The Planet (financearmageddon.blogspot.com)
- Google X Announces Project Loon: Balloon-Powered Internet For Rural, Remote And Underserved Areas (techcrunch.com)
- Google[x] unveils Project Loon to bring the world Internet via balloon (venturebeat.com)
- Australia takes part in Google’s free wi-fi balloons project (craighill.net)
- Google unveils Internet beaming balloons launched into stratosphere (startechs.wordpress.com)
- Google Wants to Use Balloons to Cover the World in Wi-Fi (gizmodo.com)