” On Tuesday, Giffords and her husband, former astronaut Mark Kelly, launched their new gun-control campaign, Americans for Responsible Solutions, which will raise money and lobby on behalf of controlling gun violence. In announcing the group, and in the aftermath of the Connecticut shooting that left 20 children and six adults dead, Giffords simply told ABC News’s Diane Sawyer, “Enough.”
Her husband amplified her thoughts. “I’m hopeful that this time is different, and I think it is,” he said in an interview set to air on Tuesday night. “Twenty first-graders being murdered in their classrooms is a very personal thing for everybody.”
The clout and emotional appeal that Giffords carries, even two years after the shooting and despite a difficult recovery, is apparent. From her appearance at the Democratic National Convention in September to her statements at the trial of her would-be assassin, Jared Loughner, in November, she remains a powerful presence. ”
Oh the left and their symbols . It is the only way they can manage to persuade anyone of their self-righteousness and have their way . Unfortunately for those of us who value reason as the desired standard of discourse the modern media age is tailor made for knee-jerk emotionalism .
The Oprahfication of American society is well on it’s way to ruining us all . Whether it rears it’s ugly head as the current war on boys and boyhood , the steadily growing government-facilitated dependence on the State , the current predilection to medicate our children into zombie-hood or the fact that one can’t make a move in this current environment without being pummeled silly under the impact of lawyers , the legal profession and “the authorities” in general , it all adds up to the same thing … the sissification of America in the name of ” progress” and a plea to the emotions and not the head .
If you want further proof of my insinuations look no further than the current political class and the bureaucrats riding their coattails . See any Andrew Jackson’s ? Any George Washington’s ? Any Teddy Roosevelt’s ? No , of course not . Why is that ? America in a few brief centuries has produced more great men and women than any nation would have a right to expect , but when did that species of American become extinct ?
- Gabrielle Giffords takes on the gun lobby (blogs.jta.org)
- Arizona marks 2 years since Giffords shooting (usatoday.com)
- Americans For Responsible Solutions: Gabby Giffords Announces Gun Control Group To Counter NRA (patdollard.com)
- Diane Sawyer To Interview Gabrielle Giffords On Two-Year Anniversary Of Tucson Shooting (huffingtonpost.com)
- Giffords Launches Pro-Gun Control Organization to Fight Gun Lobby (VIDEO) (guns.com)
- Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords launches gun control campaign (itv.com)
- First Word: Gabby Giffords takes on NRA (tv.msnbc.com)
- Giffords interview to air on shooting anniversary (boston.com)
- Giffords Makes a Push on Gun Control (fromthetrenchesworldreport.com)
- Gabrielle Giffords and Mark Kelly to talk about Tucson shooting two years on (irishcentral.com)