” She grappled with trying to bolster the U.S. workforce at a time of fiscal crisis and recovery from recession. “There is still much to do, but we are well on the road to recovery, and middle-class Americans know the president is on their side,” she said.
Obama, in a statement, called her a “tireless champion for working families.”
So far, Obama has picked white males for the three biggest Cabinet positions – Senator John Kerry to replace Hillary Clinton as secretary of state and former Senator Chuck Hagel as defense secretary. He was due to announce Jack Lew as treasury secretary on Thursday, a source said.
Susan Rice, the U.S. ambassador to the United Nations and a close confidante of Obama, withdrew her name last month from consideration for the secretary of state post in the face of what promised to be a contentious Senate confirmation battle. ”
- Obama to name Jack Lew Treasury secretary as Solis resigns from Labor (denverpost.com)
- Obama Labor Secretary Quits (voicerussia.com)
- One Less Woman In Obama’s Cabinet: Hilda Solis Quits (theatlanticwire.com)
- Latina pioneer Solis resigning as labor secretary (reuters.com)
- Lew ‘picked to lead US Treasury’ (bbc.co.uk)
- Hilda Solis leaves Labor Department (politico.com)
- Solis resigns as labor secretary (usatoday.com)