” Owners of a gold mining claim in southern Oregon who enlisted armed activists to guard the mine amid a land dispute with the federal government plan a peaceful protest this week but want to avoid a standoff.
A co-owner of the Sugar Pine Mine, Rick Barclay, called in armed guards from the conservative Oath Keepers activist group after federal officials served him with a stop-work order last month for failing to comply with federal regulations.
Federal officials said in a letter to the owners they needed to file plans for the gold mining and equipment on the land or cease operations. The miners argue they have exclusive surface rights and do not have to follow federal regulations.
Mine spokesman Kerby Jackson said the miners were now calling for a “peaceful protest” at local Oregon Bureau of Land Management offices around Oregon on Thursday. Jackson said the owners were meeting with their attorney on Monday.
“ We are calling on all miners, loggers, farmers/ranchers and freedom lovers everywhere who are tired of government abuse to tell the BLM … that they are sick to death of the way that they have been conducting themselves,” the Sugar Pine Mine website said.”
Raw Story has much more on the latest attempted power grab by the Feds
” The action became very real for a 17-year-old Long Beach resident who was playing the video game Call of Duty on Tuesday, after a bitter online opponent called police and falsely claimed that the teen had fatally shot his mother and brother in his Laurelton Boulevard home.
Long Beach Police Commissioner Michael Tangney said that the teenager had just won a round of the popular online multi-player shooter game. But when a losing rival claiming to be the teen called police to report the bogus incident, it prompted a massive response — including a fully armed Nassau County SWAT team with an armored vehicle and a helicopter unit — to what was initially believed to be a multiple shooting and hostage situation.
Tangney said that when police arrived at the house at around 3 p.m., 17-year-old Long Beach High School student Rafael Castillo was still playing the game on Xbox while wearing a headset and had no idea what was happening outside.”
It was one mighty expensive hoax phone call …
” “He was quite stunned — he was very shaken up by it,” Tangney said, adding that the police response could cost roughly $100,000.
More than 50 county, Long Beach and MTA police officers, and firefighters responded to the home. Nearby streets were blocked off as numerous police vehicles rushed to scene. The standoff lasted more than an hour and attracted crowds of onlookers who milled about, saying that they learned about the incident on social media.”
Continue reading at LI Herald